Our Family Support Workers can offer their time to parents and carers who have specific concerns about their children or who maybe just need a little extra help themselves.
With many years of experience of working with families and children with additional needs between them, they can offer information and advice in these areas and beyond such as
- Providing information, support, and advice to enable parents to have confidence to deal with issues around their child’s education. This may include support to apply for an Education Health Care Plan.
- Supporting parents who are seeking to obtain a diagnosis for their child.
- Providing (or signposting to) specific training and support so parents have a better understanding of their children’s condition
- Providing parents with advice and support regarding managing challenging behaviours in children with additional needs.
- Supporting parents to access benefits advice in relation to their child’s disability
- Providing information and support regarding other services that is available in their area
Sometimes parents and carers just benefit from space, time and a listening ear over a cup of tea or coffee at one of our regular drop-ins or support at meetings with other agencies.
We are one of three member charities of the Family Support Partnership of parent driven charities working across 9 districts of Kent offering support to families of disabled children, funded by the National Lottery. Parent carers can approach us directly by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org for help or they can be referred by other professionals. We can help you with form filling or signpost you to a useful information source that you might not have discovered already. But if you need more support you will be asked to fill in a self assessment form and we will then pull together an actions plan for more intensive support. The referral form, for professionals to refer families with their permission can be found here. Parents can refer themselves for help by emailing email@example.com or leaving a message on 01622 764566.
We also offer a series of workshops across the year and our Space 2 Be Me members can access our lending library of resources – books, sensory equipment, games, articles and communication aids – that families are welcome to come and browse.
We are licensed providers for Banardo’s popular Cygnet Training for parents of children with autism and offer several core Cygnet courses each year as well as follow on courses in Siblings and Puberty. To refer yourself of a parent carer (with their permission) please fill in and submit the Cygnet enrolment form and send it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Give us a call on 01622 764566 or e-mail email@example.com.