We care. We listen. We empathise. We respond. We empower.
We work in partnership with our member families, to ensure all our activities meet their needs
We work across west Kent (mainly Maidstone, Tonbridge & Malling and Tunbridge Wells) with disabled children and young people with additional needs aged from birth to 25 and their families.
- Support disabled children – we run provide a range of clubs for different age groups from age 6 through to age 25. FIND OUT MORE.
- Support parents – we help parents feel supported through our family support work, training, support groups and workshops. FIND OUT MORE.
- Support the whole family – we help our families enjoy quality time together as well as having the opportunity to meet other families who are facing similar challenges. FIND OUT MORE.
Who we help
We work with families who have children with additional needs or disabilities, such as Autism, ADHD or Down’s Syndrome. We do not require a confirmed diagnosis for children to access our activities.
We are a membership organisation and for a small annual fee families are able to access discounted entry to our events. Becoming a member is simple, you can access our form via our website or by calling us in the office. We are regularly in contact with our members and we look forward to meeting new families.
If you are a professional working with a family please do contact us if you think our services would be of benefit, we regularly work in partnership with Social Care professionals to enhance the support provided to a family.
Support for disabled children
Parents told us that their children struggled to make friends and lacked independence. We have set up a range of clubs for different age groups from age 0 through to age 25. The younger children play and have fun, the older young people are encouraged to learn life skills and support each other.
Where ever possible we ask children and young people to help plan the activities we run in our clubs. We provide a number of regular clubs including –
- Sam’s Saturday Stay and Play Club (Maidstone) – for children aged 0 to 5
- Sam’s Saturday Stay and Play Club (Tonbridge) – for children aged 0 to 5
- Rockets – for children aged 6 to 10
Starships – for children aged 6 to 11
- Comets – for teenagers aged 10 to 12
- Cosmic – for young people 12 to 18
- Galaxy – for teenagers aged 13 to 17
- Universe (Maidstone) – for young adults aged 18 to 25
- Universe (Tonbridge) – for young adults aged 18 to 25
- Dance Stars – for children and teenagers of all ages
During the school holidays we run activity sessions for children aged 5 – 18, we call these sessions Space 2 Be Me Time. They offer parents a few hours of respite during the school holidays and time for the children to have fun.
With the exception of our Sam’s club children are encouraged to attend without their parents. Of course, if your child is new to the group you can come along to the first couple of sessions.
Support for parents
Receiving (or waiting for) a diagnosis of a disability is isolating for a family. The common word we hear is “fight”, parents or carers often have to fight for everything for their disabled child and we are there to help them feel supported. We do this via family support work, training, support groups and workshops, helping parents to feel less isolated, learn strategies to support their children and build a peer support network.
- Space 2 Talk – drop ins and coffee mornings for parents
- Space 2 Learn – workshops for parents
- Family support service
Support for the whole family
Family time is often neglected and siblings feel left out. Siblings come to some of our clubs and holiday clubs and we run at least one family activity a month to local attractions, enabling our families to enjoy quality time together as well as the opportunity to meet other families who are facing similar challenges.
- Space 2 Be Family – family events
Are we missing something?
We respond to what our members tell us they need or want. If enough members ask for something we can then evidence in funding applications the need for a new service, club or activity.
If you can think of something we are missing, get in touch with us today and let us know.